MATSOL awards and grants recognize excellence, creativity, and innovation in our field. Awards are presented at the annual MATSOL conference.
Nominations and proposals are due Monday, March 25, 2019. View MATSOL Awards…
MATSOL Teacher of the Year
The MATSOL Teacher of the Year Award was established to recognize excellence in the education of English language learners.
- Successful teaching of English language learners as shown through evidence of best instructional practices and incorporation of students’ linguistic and cultural backgrounds within the classroom.
- Long-term commitment to the education of ELLs.
- Leadership roles at the school, district, and/or state level on behalf of English language learners.
- Mentoring and supporting of new teachers to the field through both informal and formal induction programs.
- Strong relationships with the community and (for K-12) parents of ELLs.
The Anne Dow Award for Excellence and Creativity
The Anne Dow Award for Excellence and Creativity is given annually to a professional who has made outstanding efforts that reflect enthusiasm and creative, energetic, independent thinking. This professional displays the ability to take risks, solve problems, support colleagues, and model ethical behavior. Specific criteria vary from year to year, to reflect the many facets of Anne’s career and interests. The 2019 award will be granted for culturally and linguistically responsive teaching. The award includes a $1,000 honorarium
Linda Schulman Innovation Grant
The Linda Schulman Innovation Fund welcomes proposals for projects that promote English language learning and embody a spirit of creativity, sensitivity and community. We give grants of approximately $500 – $1,000 for pedagogical plans that benefit English language learners by improving their language competency or increasing their understanding of American culture.