At the 2019 MATSOL Conference, you will find multiple workshops to help you use student strengths, building on their own funds of knowledge. You will learn strategies for recognizing and celebrating student identity and culture and explore social-emotional learning; trauma-informed practice; impact of poverty on learning; and creating physically and emotionally safe environments.
Here are some (just some!) of the workshops you can choose to participate in:
- Incorporating Story Books into Culturally Responsive ESL Teaching
- A Culturally Responsive Classroom Looks Like…
- There is no L without SEL: Social-Emotional Learning in ESL
- Practical Use of Translanguaging and Multiliteracies in the Classroom
- Empowering ELs by Turning the Tables: Students Teaching Teachers
- Telling Our Stories in Pictures and Words: Creating Identity Texts
- Walking in the Footsteps of Asian Students and Their Families
- The Dos and Don’ts of Family Engagement in Early Childhood
- Break (dancing) through cultural and communicative barriers
- To Teach Them, You Must Know Them – Brockton to Cape Verde
- Enacting Social Justice Principles in K-12 ESL Instruction
- Engaging Haitian Students and their Families
There is a lot to look forward to at the 2019 MATSOL Conference. See you there!