Utilizing research-based strategies to craft SEL-embedded lessons in a culturally relevant teaching (CRT) classroom environment.
A 15 PDP course focused on embedding Social Emotional Learning (SEL) concepts and strategies into curriculum and instruction for English Learners.
- Analyze data on the benefits of teaching SEL skills to ELs
- Become familiar with DESE Guidelines on implementing Social Emotional Curricula K-12
- Be introduced to a SEL-embedded curriculum model used in a Newcomer program
- Learn how to increase culturally responsive practices (CRT) in their classrooms
- Practice strategies that combine academic content and SEL skills for ELs
- Create/ revise lesson plans that integrate SEL in content-area instruction
- Analyze rubrics and assessment strategies for monitoring and assessing SEL
- Collaborate with peers to develop end-of-unit projects that embed SEL and CRT.
Audience: Any school educator or leader who works with K-12 English Learners.
Format: Two six hour sessions plus a 3-hour on-line/assignment component.
PDPs: 15 PDPs that fulfill recertification requirement in English learner education.
Credit: 1 credit option available.
Registration & Information: www.mastol.org/courses