The Language Opportunity Coalition has a launched a new website at www.SealOfBiliteracyMA.org with resources developed during the SoBL pilot project from 2014-18. The site includes:
- Criteria and certificates for the Language Opportunity Coalition (LOC) Biliteracy Pathway Awards, a compliment to the State Seal of Biliteracy that can be awarded to students at lower grade and language proficiency levels.
- Links to criteria and regulations for the MA State Seal of Biliteracy on the DESE website: http://www.doe.mass.edu/ell/biliteracy/
- Implementation resources that can be used for the state and/or LOC awards, including timelines, best practices and exemplars.
The Language Opportunity Coalition published a report on the third and final year of the Massachusetts Seal of Biliteracy Pilot Project. The pilot ended in June 2018 with approval of the official State Seal of Biliteracy, with implementation beginning in the 2018-19 school year.*
- 26 school districts made 1,339 awards in 2018.
- Languages included Spanish, French, Portuguese, Hebrew, Mandarin, French, Arabic, Marathi, Urdu, Haitian Creole, Polish, Latin, German, Italian, Tagalog, Urdu, Cantonese, Korean, Bengali, Arabic, Hausa, Thai, Russian, ASL, Hungarian, Dutch, and Luganda.
View the report…
* We are awaiting the Commissioner’s decision on key aspects of the state award, as well as release of the guidance document by DESE.