Graduating students in the Class of 2022, who were not able to take 10th Grade ELA MCAS due to the pandemic, now have the opportunity to earn the Massachusetts State Seal of Biliteracy. Legislation passed in December allows 2022 graduates who earn the modified competency determination in ELA to also satisfy the English language criteria for the award. Read more!
Massachusetts schools can create a road map for language learning with Biliteracy Pathway Awards!
The Language Opportunity Coalition (LOC) Biliteracy Pathway Awards are designed to encourage long-term language study by recognizing and rewarding language learning in elementary, middle and high school. The awards can be given in addition to the Massachusetts State Seal of Biliteracy, an award for graduating high school seniors.
The pathway awards were originally developed during the Massachusetts Seal of Biliteracy Pilot, which operated from 2016-18 before passage of the LOOK Act. The LOC is continuing to support the awards and provide resources for implementation.
LOC Biliteracy Pathway Award levels:
- LOC Biliteracy Participation Award (ACTFL Novice-High): For preschool and elementary school Students & students with disabilities (all grades).
- LOC Biliteracy Attainment Award (ACTFL Intermediate-Low): For elementary & middle school students.
- LOC Biliteracy Achievement Award (ACTFL Intermediate-Mid): For middle and high school students.
Find out more at SealOfBiliteracyMA.org
|In 2019, it’s a whole new world for teachers of English Learners in Massachusetts.
With your support, the LOOK Act passed in 2017. This groundbreaking law:
What new opportunities has the LOOK Act opened up for educators? What can we do now to help our ELL students as a result of the new law?
To find out, register for the MATSOL 2019 Conference. Our theme is “LOOKing Forward to a New Era.” We will hear from keynote speakers, and attend workshops and poster sessions, designed to make sure we are all ready to do the most we can for our students under the new law.
Register now so that we can enter this new world together.
P.S. If you have already submitted your registration, we look forward to seeing you in May!
The Language Opportunity Coalition has a launched a new website at www.SealOfBiliteracyMA.org with resources developed during the SoBL pilot project from 2014-18. The site includes:
- Criteria and certificates for the Language Opportunity Coalition (LOC) Biliteracy Pathway Awards, a compliment to the State Seal of Biliteracy that can be awarded to students at lower grade and language proficiency levels.
- Links to criteria and regulations for the MA State Seal of Biliteracy on the DESE website: http://www.doe.mass.edu/ell/biliteracy/
- Implementation resources that can be used for the state and/or LOC awards, including timelines, best practices and exemplars.
Visit the new site at www.SealofBiliteracyMA.org!
The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education has posted Guidance for Implementing the Massachusetts State Seal of Biliteracy: http://www.doe.mass.edu/ell/guidance/default.html
The Language Opportunity Coalition is reviewing the guidance and will comment on it soon.
Follow the LOC blog at www.LanguageOpportunity.org for updates.